Okay, so in one of my very first blog entries, I mentioned that this blog would probably include “a healthy dose of information about my cat’s daily activities.” And yet, here we are, several months in…AND I HAVE NOT DELIVERED! I’m certain that everyone is extremely disappointed about this. However, it turns out, believe it or not, that my cat’s daily activities are really not all that interesting. Shocking!
Thus, instead of devoting a blog entry to my cat, I will devote a blog entry to his namesake, THE BRITISH PHILOSOPHER THOMAS HOBBES.
Ha, ha! Just kidding. You thought I was going to talk about philosophers again! No. Hobbes is named after Hobbes the tiger, from Calvin & Hobbes. BUT! Hobbes the tiger, the character, is actually named after Thomas Hobbes the philosopher! This is a true fact. Which is how I justify the fact that my cat is named Hobbes even though he is not orange like a tiger. Stripes of Hobbes the tiger, INTELLECT OF HOBBES THE PHILOSOPHER. Get it? Except for how sometimes he chases his tail until he catches it, and then bites it so hard that he seriously hurts himself. Not REALLY philosopher caliber, unless we are talking about Nietzsche after he went crazy from the syphilis. Oh god, the philosopher count is now at two.
Look, the point is, it’s time we stopped beating around the bush and just addressed this matter head-on: I AM OBSESSED WITH CALVIN & HOBBES, PROBABLY TO AN UNHEALTHY DEGREE. This should be pretty apparent by now, I guess, by virtue of the fact that my last several entries, and my About page, all include Calvin & Hobbes strips. If you don’t also love Calvin & Hobbes, PLEASE KEEP READING, because I am about to beat you over the head with a list of reasons why Calvin & Hobbes is the greatest comic strip ever written, AND YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY HAVE A DRAMATIC CHANGE OF OPINION.
So, here we go.
1. Calvin & Hobbes is the greatest comic strip ever written because it addresses big questions.
2. And because it addresses small questions.
3. Because it concerns itself with politics.
4. And because it concerns itself with religion.
5. Calvin & Hobbes is the best comic strip ever written because there is a sarcastic tiger.
6. And a dad who makes up almost as much stuff as my dad.
7. It is the best comic strip every written because, sometimes, Calvin fancies himself a sophisticated intellectual.
8. And sometimes he’s just a kid.
9. Calvin & Hobbes is the greatest comic strip ever written because Calvin and Hobbes make pretty amazing clubs.
10. And even more amazing snowmen.
11. Calvin & Hobbes is the greatest comic strip ever written because it explores kid problems.
12. Without ignoring adult ones.
13. And because sometimes it uses big words.
14. While other times it uses hardly any.
15. And, throughout it all, Calvin & Hobbes conveys an appealing and understandable general disdain for humanity.
16. Mostly, though? Calvin & Hobbes is just funny.
If you ask me, Bill Watterson has as much right to the “Literature” category as Camus, Schopenhauer, and Kundera.